State Farm

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Sammy the Bearkat


By Stephanie Chronister


Coming from a rival school, I have experienced and learned friendly competition between Southland Conference schools; particularly mascots. Before I became Sammy the Bearkat, I was LadyJack for Steven F. Austin State University. 

I spent one year as a live mascot, although I had an amazing time as LadyJack, I wanted to experience a different side to mascoting. Being a live mascot I did not get to experience being a true character like Sammy the Bearkat. Seeing mascots throughout society, you tend to see more characters than you do live mascots. Furthermore, I wanted more of a family aspect than just being a part of a team. When I came for my tryouts I saw just that. The team here was so close, and it shows through their national championships. 

After tryouts and training in the suit I still had difficulty being Sammy the Bearkat. My entire life I have been nothing but a female mascot. Going from being a girly-girl to being a manly-man was a complete and total shock. My hips were built to sway, that’s just the way it is, or so I thought. The veteran mascots and alumni helped me learn exactly how to be Sammy. I noticed that even though Sammy is one person, each previous or current mascot put their own personality into him while they were in the suit. From watching them, I realized that I should not be ashamed to be myself. 

Mascots are supposed to look silly. If they did not make people laugh, then they were not doing their job correctly. From that I was able to create my own character. Continuing on with the tradition, as captain I am now able to put some of my own personality into Sammy, and help the new mascots the same way I was helped. From one small town to another, I have certainly enjoyed mascoting at both schools and can’t wait to see what else is in store for myself at Sam Houston State University.

No comments:

Post a Comment